LIME IS GOOD FOR YOU
The first fruit that comes to mind in terms of medicinal uses is the reliable lime. This sour citrus fruit can do what many advanced medicines cannot. Lime, bearing the scientific name Citrus Aurantifolia, has been used for ages in the treatment of various ailments.
The oil extracted from lime’s skin is extensively used in soft drink concentrates, body oils, cosmetic products, hair oils, toothpastes, toilet/ beauty soaps, disinfectants, mouth washes, deodorants and innumerable other products. There are many varieties of lime found all over the world, particularly in the Tropical and the Mediterranean climates.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LIME
- 1. Cures Scurvy: Lime is very well-known as a cure for scurvy; the disease which is caused from a deficiency of Vitamin-C. It is characterized by frequent infections that show as normal cold symptoms, cracked lips and lip corners, ulcers on the tongue and in the mouth. You can also spot scurvy from spongy, swollen and bleeding gums. Since its cause is a deficiency of Vitamin-C, its remedy is none other than vitamin-C, and lime is full of this this essential vitamin safe from scurvy.
- 2. Aids Digestion: Lime has an irresistible scent which causes the mouth to water and this actually aids primary digestion. The natural acidity in lime does the rest. While they break down of macro molecules of the food, the flavonoids, the compounds found in the fragrant oils extracted from lime, stimulate the digestive system and increase the secretion of digestive juices.
- 3. Relaxes Constipation: The amount of acid present in lime helps to clear the excretory system by washing and cleaning off the tracts. The roughages in lime eases constipation but the most beneficial is the high acidity. An overdose of lime juice with salt is an excellent purgative that has no side effect. Thereby providing relief from constipation.
- 4. Cures Diabetes: Limes and other citrus fruits are considered a diabetes super food for many reasons. First, the high level of soluble fibre found in limes make it an ideal dietary aid to regulate the body’s absorption of sugar into the bloodstream reducing the occurrence of blood sugar spikes that are a serious risk to diabetic patients.
- 5. Helps in Eye Care: Flavonoid in lime juice help protect the eyes from infection. The anti oxidant properties in its high content of Vitamin C protect the eyes from aging and macular degeneration.
- 6. Protects Gums: Usually the root cause of gum problems is the deficiency of Vitamin C (Scurvy- which causes bleeding gums). The high Vitamin C content cures scurvy and destroys microbial growth.
- 7. Prevents Piles: Since lime helps heal in the digestive system by providing relief from constipation, it eradicates all the root causes of piles. Piles are a different term for hemorrhoids, an uncomfortable condition that occurs in the anal region and can result in bleeding and discomfort both during excretion and general activity. It can also lead to a certain form of cancer. Taking lime regularly can prevent their formation or recurrence.
- 8. Aids Weight loss: A glass of warm water with a full lime’s worth of juice in it is an excellent weight reducer as well as a brilliant refresher and antioxidant drink. The citric acid present in lime is an excellent fat burner. You can consume two glasses a day and see legitimate and remarkable result within a week.
It is a good appetizer and digestive. It can help to cure rheumatism, prostate and colon cancer, cholera, arteriosclerosis, fatigue and even high fevers (contrary to popular belief). The best part of it is that it has no negative side effects!
For more information or any food question, do send me a mail via firstname.lastname@example.org
or SMS ONLY – 0806-663-3815. See you next edition!